Wednesday 12 May 2010

Right I am now going to analyse all developments so far and work out what to do now. I'm thinking that I need some kind of imagery within my designs, something to symbolise the sin, but what do you draw to reperesent sins. Hmmmm, well sins are abstract in themselves, so maybe I could use imagery to reperesent each sin rather than first hand drawings.

Paintings, I think this would be a great choice and would work with each sin well. Theres a lot in painting. I will begin to research painting and select appropiate paintings to reperesent each sin. Painting is quite broad so I think I will research contemporary all the way to traditional. This will allow me to select the best images to use within my designs.


Lust

Botticelli
- Quite a religious painting -links to sexual desire outside of marriage (lawful paternership in the eyes of God)
- The expression of the painting, both the application of paint nad the facial expressions
- Everything about this traditional painting says Lust, from the colour, the mood, the imagery

Gluttony
Joel Peter Witkin
Female King, New Mexico, 1997
- A man who quite clearly is a victim of over indulgence, which links directly to the sin.
- An obese man
- Perfectly symbolises the Sin

Envy

Albert Durer,
Adam and Eve 1507
- To be envious, tempted by something better - Link to the Tempter of Eden; upon this occasion our first parents fell.
- Temptation of God, maybe a test
- Perfect representation of the sin, due to the great link with Gods children.

Greed
Andy Warhol
Green Coca Cola bottles 1962
- Consumerism (Advertisement and money)
- Mass Production, which his work clearly reperesents, even his technique Silkscreen
- Warhol's work was about the mass produced world of plenty, his name and his signature

Wrath

Francis Bacon
Study after Valazquezs portrait of Pope innocent
- Anger, hatred
- Belligerence aroused by a real or supposed wrong.
- Makes me feel nervous
- Expressive ( mainly due to the marks and brush strokes)

Pride
Hans Holben
The younger portrait of Henry V111 1539-40
- Vanity (Rich colours and clothes)
- A feeling of self respect and personal worth
- Satisfaction with your achievments
- Everything about thtis painting says pride, even his posture


Sloth

Joe Ouko Lohtola,
Untitled 1997
I know my original take was to research paintings and use paintings within my designs, but I came across this photograph whilst flicking through a book called 'Disgusting Bodies' and think everything about it says sloth. So I decided on using it.The man in the photograph seems as if he is wasting away, maybe this reperesents his lifestyle.

I will now begin to use these images within each design. Hopefully I will finish with 7 inividual designs, one to reperesent each sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment